Friday, November 14, 2008

"F R U S T R A T I O N " of a SE

Recently I have been seeing and thinking why are software engineers so frustrated. I have seen people getting frustrated when they are on bench which is understandable. But the same people gets frustrated when they are assigned projects. They get frustrated when get into testing project because they wanted development project.
After getting into development project they get frustrated because development project requires them to work long hours. They get frustrated when they don't get promoted, also they get frustrated when are promoted because they have to handle managerial work along with normal work. They get frustrated when they don't get onsite opportunity, they also get frustrated when they get it. Because once he is onsite, he cannot take leaves, has to available most of the time in day, no home food, etc. I have seen some who visit their parents every weekend still crib that they don't get to go home because they don't have enough leaves. I have seen them even complaining that why don't company open its branch in their home town. They crib when they get 5% increment, they even crib when they get 13% increment. The list goes on and on and on.... They question is why. Why are they so frustrated? Why are they always cribbing and cursing?

What I found was very simple. They don't have any hobbies or extra activites to do. Most of the people just work their sorry asses in office and then return home. They will have dinner and sleep. At the most watch that stupid entertainment box call TV, which shows destruction of earth every other year, which shows alien invasion and they are stealing farmer's cow. They don't read, they don't watch good movies, they don't have interest in anything. They are frustrated because they are not content with themselves.

I am no big philosopher to answer all the questions but this seem so obvious. People who are frustrated with not getting development projects are most likely who are not good at it. This causes them double frustration as they are not getting what they want also they don't know to it if they get it. What I feel is every person should have some hobby. Let it be watching stupid saas-bahu serials, but they should have some. I personally have few hobbies. As relevant from my previous blog I am learning chess, I am also learning guitar. I also like to read novels. After coming home from office any two of these hobbies takes away my rest of the time and I sleep happily thinking I have done something productive or learnt something which I didn't know.

I certainly feel and believe that if these people get on with some hobbies their frustration levels will certainly decrease making their work place happier.

No comments: